Back to school is a stressful time for most families. Here are 5 easy tips to help you reboot your brain and improve your health.
- Eat a diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids to lower triglycerides and help joint pain, depression, ADHD, asthma and neurodegenerative conditions like Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Consider wild Arctic fish over farmed fish and dark green leafy vegetables like broccoli and spinach for iron and B-vitamins for circulation and immunity. Lightly blanch spinach before you eat it to reduce the waxy coating on the leaves so it is easier to digest and absorb its nutrients. Other sources of essential fatty acids include hemp, flax, walnuts, almonds, olive oil and eggs.
- Challenge your balance and get active. Hiking, walking and standing on unlevel surfaces while maintaining upright extension postures all stimulate your cerebellum, the critical part of the brain that controls balance, coordination and your postural tone.
- Don’t slouch! Standing and sitting up straight reduces stress on spinal joints and nerves that carry electrical signals to and from the brain and body. If you find yourself slouching, focus on arching your lower back. Sometimes using a small pillow or rolled towel in the small of your back can serve as a gentle reminder. Sensory chair cushions may improve balance and attention in kids who find it hard to sit still in class.
- Set a reasonable bedtime and stick to it. Well-rested kids are likely to perform better at school and are healthier. Sleep hygiene routines such as turning off all electronics (including TV’s and cell phones) and not drinking anything within 1-2 hours of your bedtime can improve your quality of sleep and keep you from waking up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom.
- Get regular chiropractic care. Our brain continuously monitors and integrates sensory information from within and around the body to accurately perform movements, a process called sensorimotor integration. Healthy movement of the joints in the spine is essential for the brain and body to communicate and respond to internal and environmental changes. Chiropractic adjustments gently restore movement in dysfunctional joints of the spine. Like fixing the static on your phone, rebooting your brain with chiropractic care leads to better body function, fewer accidents and a healthier you!